Tips & Tricks for a Successful Photoshoot with your 18 month old - 3 year old
Let's be honest, 18 months to 3 years is a hard age. It's hard to raise, hard to take out in public, you have to potty train, sharing with others, tantrums, the list could go on and on..I've raised two of them and one is still 3, almost 4. Another thing it is hard to do with this age range is take professional photos. But, believe it or not, this is one of my most popular clients! After almost four years in the business, I feel I can successfully sit down and write some tips and tricks to prepare for your photoshoot with your toddler.
1. Lot's of rest! This one is pretty self-explanitory. Set up your shoot either right after naptime or in the morning right after they wake up. That way they are completely rested and ready for their close-up!
2. Talk it up! You have probably set up your shoot a couple weeks or even a couple months in advance. Talk the photoshoot up. Say how fun it is going to be, how nice Miss Kati is (I really am!), and that we are going to have a blast! I know some people (dads, haha!) don't like to have their photos taken and that's ok, but don't let your toddler catch onto that or when they get to the location and see me with my camera, they are going to be very leery or even scared.
3. Snacks! Bring some snacks and drinks so they can take a break and have a little bite in between just to refresh and feel comfortable. There's a reason they say "comfort food"! :)
4. Music! Does your toddler love to dance? If they're feeling pretty posed, sometimes they might just feel a little better if they can listen to their favorite tunes. Have your phone ready with their fave songs and they can dance a little and those real smiles will be coming out in no time.
5. Bribery... I'm completely not above bribery and I won't judge if you aren't either! Sometimes with littles it takes a bit of bribery even it's just some special snack or ice cream when we're done. They deserve a treat if they do well!